Travel Theme Challenge: Silver

The Globe

The Globe

This is my entry to Ailsa of Where’s My Backpack Travel Theme Challenge for the week: Silver.

Also to my 365 Project: Day 23.

I have seen this structure before in New York, I just don’t know which street it was and what it was for. All I could remember was it was by Whole Foods where my girlfriend brought me to try their buffet lunch. Well not sure if you could call it that, you buy the ready-to-go or eat food and you pay it by the weight.

This one is in Chicago at the Willis Tower.

I left my current firm in 2009 and we were getting ready then to move to a new building a few blocks North of Wacker. The Globe wasn’t there yet then so it was a total surprise to see it when I came back in 2012.

Here are some facts about this steel globe I found from Panoramio.com:

Installed in January 2010 in front of the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower, this 25 foot diameter globe was made by the Poblocki Sign Company entirely out of 316 stainless steel, which was rolled, coped and fully welded at each intersection. The 16000 pound structure was fabricated in 8 sections and had a base made from 6″ schedule 40 pipe. More than 8 miles of welding wire was used on the joint and splice connections of the globe. The amount of 3″ schedule 40 pipe used on the project was enough to span the entire height of the Willis Tower: 1450 feet. KMF Metals, Inc polished all of this weld to a seamless number 4 satin finish working to an expedited leadtime. KMF Metals, inc was the only polisher involved on this project.

In addition to polishing the 6 sections making up the framework of the globe, KMF Metals also put a DA, random orbital finish on the continents, which were formed from 3/16″ 316l stainless steel sheet.

This entry was posted in Chicago, Photo Challenge and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Travel Theme Challenge: Silver

1. Y. Prior says:

really nice piece of art – and great for the silver theme. I also was wondering what the new name of the sears tower was (and now I know). :)

2. Amy says:

25 foot diameter, that is huge! Great choice!

3. bebs1 says:

Thank you Dinna! Have a great weekend!

4. bebs1 says:

Photography Journal, thank you! I used my iPhone for this picture and edited it a bit as it was a bit gray and dark.

5. bebs1 says:

It does not look too big Amy except the side where they put it is now a bit crowded.

6. bebs1 says:

Y. Prior, thank for dropping by. Yes it is now Willis Tower but for long-time residents, it will always be Sears for us.

7. viveka says:

I love this photo – yes, there is one in NYC – in the middle of Columbus Circle by the Trump International Hotel, made by Gaetano Russo. The Chicago one is made by made by the Poblocki Sign Company, I think both are magnificent.

8. bebs1 says:

I thought they are made by the same people, they look the same.

9. viveka says:

I thought the same … because I have never seen the one at Willis Tower, wasn’t there when I was up during my first visit to Chicago. But I saw the one in NYC last year … so I looked it up with help of Google.

10. bebs1 says:

When was the last time you were here? There is not much that has changed maybe there are newer restaurants because they come and go. But Chicago always has something new to offer.

11. viveka says:

I was up in the Sears tower … in 2000. But I been back 2 more times in Chicago after that … last time 2012.
    There is always new restaurants and good ones to try out for me. Still my favorite from 2000 is still one of the best in town; Blackbird.

12. bebs1 says:

Blackbird is an institution in Chicago Viveka.

13. Hi, I read your new stuff daily. Your writing style is witty, keep up the good work!

14. bebs1 says:

Thank you for dropping by!

15. We are glad you like our work. Check out more of our work on our website http://www.poblocki.com and you can now follow us on twitter @PoblockiSign